Project Engineer: Hydrogen and Sustainable Fuels
This is a significant opportunity for a qualified candidate with demonstrated project management/engineering experience to join the Hydrogen and Sustainable Fuels project management team in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. As Project Engineer in Hydrogen and Sustainable Fuels you will be reporting to Renewable Energy Park Project Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design of projects and programmes, across multiple portfolios, ensuring that cost, risk, commercial value and communications are all managed to the highest standards, throughout all stages of project planning and delivery.
Management of both suppliers and stakeholders forms a key part of the role and will be required to represent both the company and specific projects. The candidate must be able to demonstrate initiative and self-motivation and must take on ownership of concept designs, complex tasks and commercial challenges.
What success looks like
- We are a company that invests primarily in its employees; ensuring that the international team have access to all key global company information, working towards the same vision and having everything they need to deliver their best performance for themselves, for the company and for the planet.
- Implementation and management of world-class processes, systems and approaches to all international-based activities that drive efficiency and effectiveness.
- A world-class onboarding experience for new international team members and fostering a positive, efficient, and engaging workplace environment.
This role will entail working closely with the Renewable Energy Park Project Manager optimising project design specification, delivery strategy and commercial value, ensuring that interfaces and communications are all managed effectively and professionally, and that outputs are all of an exceptionally high quality that stand up to external assessment.
The successful candidate will lead the project engineering of the following:
- Promote safety awareness and safe performance among all Team members and commit to achieve the company goal of Zero LTI.
- Implementation of the QHSE program to ensure all work is in compliance with relevant Simply Blue Group procedures.
- Work in accordance with SBG procedures and requirements that have been produced to ensure the protection of the environment.
- Manage Project Interfaces
- Integrate Operational Requirements
- Manage and Communicate Project Performance to the Project Manager
Typical responsibilities include:
- Agreeing project objectives
- Organizing the various professional disciplines working on a project
- Risk assessment
- Making sure that the premise of the project is met
- Making sure the quality standards are met
- Monitoring sub-contractors
- Project scheduling and planning
- Accounting, costing, and billing
Manage Front End Engineering Activates:
- Prepare, implement, manage and close out Front End Design/Development (FED) such as definition, work processes, decision making, design specification/ standards, design tools/methods) to finalize Design Basis and/or Project Specification, cost, schedule, etc.
- Plan and carry out pre FID reviews (value assurance, technology application, benchmarking, cost reduction, value engineering, schedule improvement) as may be applicable.
- Understand and manage the discipline designs activities (incl. deliverables definition, work processes, decision making, design tools/methods, Technical Authorities, design reviews, constructability).
Develop Project Execution Strategies:
- Identify all project interfaces. Set up and maintain an effective process for managing interfaces within the project.
Integrate Operational Requirements:
- Engage with operations to develop operations philosophy for the project. Incorporate operations philosophies/requirements into project organization, design, costs, schedule and economics. These could include staffing, reliability, maintainability and maintenance management system, concept of Flawless Start-Up and operational readiness reviews.
Manage & Communicate Project Performance Skill Level:
- Establish a project performance monitoring and reporting system that compiles the relevant project data to give a clear and concise status of project progress against the plan.
- Key Performance Indicators and targets to be monitored including cost, schedule, safety, quality.
- Ensure value improvement processes are applied.
- Make recommendations for future improvements to the project and the broader business
Full job description here SBG Project Engineer Hydrogen and Sustainable Fuels
- Excellent communication, organisation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to produce high-quality written documents
- Strong analytical and computer skills.
- Capacity to integrate into and work effectively in a larger multidisciplinary team
- Strong numerical abilities
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Initiative and ability to initiate problem-solving where necessary
- Discretion and confidentiality as areas of the work will be highly sensitive in nature.
- 2/3 years previous Oil and Gas experience would be an advantage.
- Demonstratable ability in MS Office -Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Project.
- Familiarity with online systems – SharePoint, One Drive, Microsoft Teams
- Good knowledge of the inter-disciplinary engineering fundamentals
- Experience in working globally/regionally.
- The ideal candidate shall be familiar with the key steps required to define project scope at its inception.
- A degree in Engineering (process/chemical or mechanical) from a reputable university or college.
- Excellent team player and ability to function effectively as part of the wider SBG family.
- Interest in renewable energy / decarbonisation
- Able to work independently to tight deadlines and under time constraints.
- Fast Learner and willing to adapt and be agile in the role.
- Excellent communication skills